Copper Adds Another Layer of Protection
First U.S. health system to use copper materials in our hospitals.
Sentara continues to lead the innovation charge in delivering safe, quality care with our copper care initiative. As copper has been proven to kill 99% of bacteria, viruses, and fungi within two hours, we’ve outfitted patient rooms throughout our hospitals with copper crafted sheets, blankets, pillow cases, gowns, towels and washcloths, and are in the process of introducing copper infused bedside tables, handrails and other surfaces as well. Doing so will decrease the chances of hospital acquired infections, thereby reducing the length of patient stay and the prescription of and resistance to antibiotics.
Copper Care Fast Facts
- Sentara embarked on the world’s largest clinical trial to study the effectiveness of copper in 2014
- Copper is an essential nutrient in the human body
- Copper has been proven to kill 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, and fungi in two hours
- All Sentara hospitals have implemented copper blankets, sheets, gowns, and towels with copper-infused tables, and handrails coming soon
Overall reduction in infections* *Copper products are already working with a decrease in our CLABSI rates (central line acquired blood stream infection), pressure ulcers and surgical site infections.
- Reduction in C. difficile +